Deicing equipment

Deicing equipment

strokkur
read
Hello to everyone on the forum,

I apologise for using English, I am an Icelandic e-Golf owner and my written German is... not so good :oops: I have been following the forum for about half a year and it has been really helpful in deciding to buy the car and understanding its behaviour. Now I am making my first post.

We have owned our e-Golf for a few months now and we love it, although we recognise a number of smaller "issues"/characteristics that have been described here on the forum. My question is not related to a real problem (I guess) but is more of the "wiki"-kind. A few weeks ago I noticed for the first time that when the e-Golf is parked outside and connected to our level 2-charger (16A) the snow on the hood melts partially in a specific pattern, see the following image:
DSC_0147.JPG
Picture of melted snow pattern
Does anyone of you have any idea about what causes this? Is it a deicing system or rather a matter of dissipation of warmth from the engine bay?

Many thanks for your help. Please do respond in German, I can read it ;)
Anzeige

Re: Deicing equipment

DaftWully
  • Danke erhalten: 11 Mal
read
Hello strokkur,

welcome to the forum.

I guess this phenomenon is rleated to the waste heat which is emitted while charging the car. The pattern results from the steal structure under the hood. Steal conducts the heat and the insulation holds it back.

DaftWully
e-Golf Verbrauch zzt. Bild

strokkur
read
Daftwully,

Thank you for your answer. So what you are saying is that the heat that the battery needs to loose during charging is dissipated through the hood? I have not seen any melted snow patterns elsewhere on the car. Has anyone experienced something similar?

If this is correct, then future e-golf models might benefit from making targeted use of this heat, because in Nordic conditions in winter time ice and snow remain stuck to the car, which is especially problematic around the headlights and at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers are (difficult to scrape without damageing plastic parts).

DaftWully
read
You're right. May be VW will consider this in the future.

The heat is probably not emitted from the battery but from the AC/DC converter which is located under the bonnet. Maybe this occurrence will not happen while charging with CCS.

DaftWully

PS: Temperatures here are about 6-9 degrees. No chance testing it around here.

USER_AVATAR
  • e-golfer
read
Hi Strokkur,

DaftWully said it close to perfect. But is not the battery loosing heat, it's the charger (AC/DC Converter) who heats up. It's the gray box right (in driving direction) in the engine bay. The pattern seems to be the reinforcement structure of the hood. Why these parts are getting warmer than the rest, I have no idea.
e-Golfer
Mit verschiedenen e-Golf seit Oktober 2014 bereits 90.000km elektrisch unterwegs

strokkur
read
Thank you, this all makes sense. I am still wondering why the pattern emerged though. Whether this is the result of a purposeful design or just a coincidence.

Unfortunately, the user guide that followed the car appears to be randomly composed by a VW robot and does nothing to introduce the user to the new world of electric drive ;)

DaftWully
read
Look here. You can see the steelstructer underneath the hood. That's the pattern you see on the upperside of your car. The heat finds its way along the steel.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... eFF2cZN6YQ

DaftWully

USER_AVATAR
  • Tika
  • Danke erhalten: 9 Mal
read
strokkur hat geschrieben:Unfortunately, the user guide that followed the car appears to be randomly composed by a VW robot and does nothing to introduce the user to the new world of electric drive ;)
Yeah, the user guide is a joke. It would be about just 30 pages strong if they'd omit all those pesky warnings and disclaimers... :mrgreen: And much more comprehensive!
06/2015 - 05/2019 e-Golf
Seit 23.05.2019: Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, 18", rot/schwarz, FSD
Anzeige
AntwortenAntworten

Zurück zu „e-Golf - Allgemeine Themen“

Gehe zu Profile