Import Smart Fortwo ED 451

Import Smart Fortwo ED 451

smartfortwo
  • Danke erhalten: 11 Mal
read
Hi,

I'm writing this post in english since my german isn't that very good. Hope this isn't an issue :(

I've been searching and asking around and I'm still confused about how someone could import a smart fortwo ed 451 in Europe. I want to import a smart fortwo ed 451 to the netherlands, but all the ads i see on au24 or mobile are with a "mietbatterie". Now, I understand that the battery can either be leased for 65e/month or bought. I prefer leasing a battery when it's 4-6 years old for that extra insurance.

Now, I've asked smart NL, smart DE and smart FR about the contracts that are signed with these rental batteries. They all tell me that the contract is bound to the country and cannot be transferred to another country - unlike the battery contract with the renault zoe...

I've asked official smart dealers selling those cars with lease batteries and they all tell me the exact same thing: the battery must be bought for 4840e and can't be leased abroad.

What happens if I buy this car from an individual and sign the contract regardless of what smart is saying? Is that even possible? Do I end up with a battery which I'm not the owner of but I can't pay anyone for it either? Do I lose all warranty for it? It's all so confusing...

Did any of you people managed to succesfully import a Smart Fortwo ED 451 "without battery"? How did that work out?

Sorry again for the english post, I just couldn't find any other forum that is so great and full of people talking about the Smart Fortwo ED in Europe. :)
Anzeige

Re: Import Smart Fortwo ED 451

Beachwood
  • Danke erhalten: 3 Mal
read
Trying to import one to the NL with the lease-battery will be a major headache. Remember, you would have to deal with a major corporation.

I guess you are out of luck, unless you find a used smart including the (purchased) battery. It might take a while to find one in Germany. Keep checking the classifieds.

Another option could be a import from the US. Although I am not sure if you can easily register a US spec car in the NL and what has to be done to convert to NL specs. As far as I know, US spec Smarts came with the purchased battery.

Perhaps another forum member has more information. Anyway, I wish you good luck.

smartfortwo
  • Danke erhalten: 11 Mal
read
I've researched the possibility of importing from the US.

Most of the cars on sale there are ex-lease vehicles which are supposed to have a rental (battery assistance plus - BAP) battery. Mercedes Benz Bank never really went after the people not paying the monthly fee and upon asking them they're basically saying that BAP isn't a thing anymore.

So now all the cars there have the battery included but I'm not sure what exactly the differences are from the ones made for the US market and the ones for the EU market.

So far I know the following differences:
7.4 kw onboard charger
Type 1 charging port
Speedometer in MPH

And to make a US car roadlegal for the EU it needs some changes like fog lights, blinking lights and headlight adjustment. Rule of thumb when trying to import a car from the US, just multiply the price by 2 to see how much it'd cost to have the car in Europe - including the price of making it roadlegal.

Smarts in the US go for around $5500, so a rough estimate of E10,000 to have a smart from the US to the EU which doesn't even have any warranty. You'd almost be better off literally buying the battery for E4800 I think.

I've seen a few smarts with battery in germany, but most are ex-car2go's imported from US I think. Smarts which are missing way to many features to my liking.

Hope someone else can share their story of importing a smart with a rental battery..

MineCooky
read
As far as I know all smart electric drive from the US have got a bought battery with close to no warranty as they only got a warranty of 5000 miles or something in that range... :/

I wouldn't import a smart from the US. Remember, they have got a Type 1 connector...
AntwortenAntworten

Zurück zu „fortwo ed - Allgemeine Themen“

Gehe zu Profile
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag